Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Tonight's Movie: Aladdin (1992) Sing-Along at Disneyland

I had such a nice time at last week's Annual Passholder sing-along screening of THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989) that I returned tonight for ALADDIN (1992).


Even more people came out for this week's event at Big Thunder Ranch, with lines forming earlier. We were also told that there was no standby line tonight. Judging from both the crowd size and the response to the film itself, these screenings seem to be a big hit with Annual Passholders. I hope there will be more movies to enjoy at the park in the future.


The crowd was enthused and particularly got into singing one of my all-time favorite Disney songs, "A Whole New World." Sitting outdoors under the stars during this sequence added a new dimension of enjoyment.


As someone who's always favored THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989) and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1991) the most from Disney's "Second Golden Age of Animation," I'd forgotten just how good a film ALADDIN is. It was a treat to rediscover the movie tonight after not seeing it for many years.

This tale of a street urchin who courts a princess with the help of a genial genie has a fast-paced, well-constructed 90-minute story with generous helpings of music and comedy.

Alan Menken wrote the fine score with Howard Ashman and Tim Rice, while the comedy is chiefly thanks to the talent of Robin Williams as the Genie. I found there's also a great deal of humor in other characters and particularly enjoyed rediscovering how much personality the animators were able to give the Magic Carpet, which has no face and no voice yet is a wonderful comic character.

Scott Weinger was a teenager when he voiced the title role. Linda Larkin voices Jasmine; I especially enjoyed Jasmine's take-charge personality. No shrinking violet princess she!

Aladdin and Jasmine's singing voices were provided by Brad Kane and Lea Salonga. Salonga later sang for the title character in MULAN (1998).

ALADDIN was directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, who were both also among the contributors to the screenplay.

ALADDIN has been released on DVD and VHS.

I won't wait so long before I revisit this film again! Recommended as excellent Disney animation.

2 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

How fun! I've never seen Aladdin, but I'm sure with my nephew working his way through Disney films, we'll hit this one fairly soon.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Deb! I have a feeling ALADDIN is one you'd really enjoy. When you see it please let me know if my guess is correct! Fun that your nephew is exploring the "wonderful world of Disney."

Best wishes,
Laura

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older