Sunday, May 26, 2013

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...This afternoon I revisited LOVE BEFORE BREAKFAST (1936), a Carole Lombard-Preston Foster romantic comedy which I first saw half a dozen years ago as I worked my way through Carole Lombard: The Glamour Collection. In the intervening years I've become quite a fan of Preston Foster, in films such as DOUBLE DANGER (1938) and THE HUNTED (1948), and I enjoyed LOVE BEFORE BREAKFAST even more on a second viewing. It's interesting some reviewers I came across don't feel Lombard and Foster had chemistry, as I think they're great together; the only issue I had was that the movie needed to give them more screen time together and explain a little more why he loves her, given she can be a real pain in the neck. But hey, she's gorgeous Carole Lombard so...

...This weekend Jessica has been hosting a "Children in Film" blogathon at Comet Over Hollywood. The list of posts and contributors is here. I only wish I'd had time to participate in the blogathon myself, as children in classic films have always interested me. Be sure to check out the many interesting topics covered by the blogathon contributors.

..."We all love Regis Toomey." A lovely tribute to Dick Powell's best friend by Caftan Woman.

....The newly remastered LOOPHOLE (1954), recently released by the Warner Archive, sounds like my kind of movie. Barry Sullivan, Dorothy Malone, Charles McGraw and Mary Beth Hughes lead the cast. It was reviewed by Glenn Erickson at DVD Savant.

...Thanks to ClassicFlix for a list of new Olive releases coming our way on July 30th. The titles include the excellent films ANGEL AND THE BADMAN (1947) starring John Wayne and Gail Russell, and the John Wayne production BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY (1951). The films will be released on both standard DVD and Blu-ray.

...Now out from Twilight Time: a limited edition Blu-ray of LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945). This film has some of the most stunning Technicolor of all time, photographed by Oscar winner Leon Shamroy. It stars Gene Tierney, Cornel Wilde, and Jeanne Crain.

...I'd seen photographs of this well-known William Krisel home in Hollywood, but had no idea it was owned for years by actress Martha Hyer. Check out this fascinating 2011 post at Paradise Leased.

...Jim Lane's Cinedrome takes a look at the interesting BRIGHAM YOUNG (1940), a Henry Hathaway film starring Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell, and Dean Jagger. I reviewed it in 2008.

...A new cookbook is coming this fall from Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman: THE PIONEER WOMAN COOKS: A YEAR OF HOLIDAYS. It will be out October 29th.

...Last December I mentioned that Carrie Underwood would be starring in a live performance of THE SOUND OF MUSIC on NBC. The air date has now been announced as December 5th.

...Here's a tour of Katharine Hepburn's home in Connecticut. (Via KC at Classic Movies.)

...Leonard Maltin has reviewed the new book THE SEARCHERS: THE MAKING OF AN AMERICAN LEGEND by Glenn Frankel.

...Notable Passings: Actor Steve Forrest died at 87. I was surprised that the Hollywood Reporter initially neglected to mention Forrest's brother was the great Dana Andrews; the oversight has since been rectified...TONIGHT SHOW drummer Ed Shaughnessy has died at 84. His wife, Ilene Woods, was the voice of Disney's CINDERELLA; she passed away in 2010...Southern Californians heard the voice of KNX radio news anchor Harry Birrell for decades. He has passed on at 85...Earlier this month Millie paid a nice personal tribute to the late Deanna Durbin at Classic Forever. Additional tributes: the Self-Styled Siren, Greenbriar Picture Shows, and Leonard Maltin.

Have a great week!

4 Comments:

Blogger Vienna said...

Enjoyed looking at Kate Hepburn and Martha Hyer's homes.
And what a lovely tribute to Regis Toomey.
I've seen Loophole and thought Barry Sullivan and Charles McGraw were so good.
Thanks for all the links.

1:45 PM  
Blogger john k said...

LOOPHOLE has long been one of my "most wanted" titles and
I am SO pleased with the Warner Archive release remastered
in lovely widescreen.What I really liked was seeing tough guys
Don Haggerty and Richard Reeves showing their sensitive side.
Charles McGraw is as fearsome as ever though.
Oddly enough another Lindsley Parsons production written
by Warren Douglas; CRY VENGEANCE is on the way from Olive Films.This is a brutal yet compelling Noir quiet tough to
watch at times.Film has standout performances from Mark
Stevens,Skip Homier,Joan Vohs and Douglas Kennedy.
Mr Kennedy just seems to be in EVERYTHING that I have been
watching these days!

6:10 AM  
Blogger KC said...

Thanks for the hat tip Laura. What did you think of the way they remodeled the home? I thought it was tasteful, though I really wanted to get a peek at what it looked like when Hepburn was there.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

So glad you enjoyed the links, Vienna! Lots of fun stuff. :)

Glad to know you liked the print of LOOPHOLE, John! I'll definitely be looking to get that later this year. CRY VENGEANCE sounds good too -- Mark Stevens is a really interesting actor. LOL re Douglas Kennedy.

I agree, KC, it was tasteful -- it reminded me a little of the Newport Bay Club at Disneyland Paris, LOL -- but like you I would have loved to see how it looked when Katharine Hepburn lived in it!

Best wishes,
Luara

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older